Kyle Lent teaches about how everything must have its grounding in the Word. Other things will fade away, but God’s Word will remain forever.
Here are a few of the main points:
- “Fostering a culture of the Word means that ministry must spring from the Word and not the other way around.”
- “Ideas, goals, and vision should arise from scripture, and then you build your plans on it.”
“1 Peter 1:24-25
This is Peter speaking to a group of churches that are in a heavy season of affliction. He quotes Isaiah, and he says,
“For all flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.”
Everything must have its grounding in the Word.
Guys, think about this: We’re all probably artists in here in some capacity, but man, think about the sobering fact that your songs will fade away. There will come a day when your art will die. Your influence will fade away. Your individual churches will even fade away. Not the big ‘C’ church, but your individual churches will one day fade away. Your legacy will fade away, but the Word of God will not fade away.
And so we say that fostering a culture of the Word means that ministry must spring from the Word and not the other way around.
I don’t know about you, but that’s kind of a beatdown for me sometimes to think about because I tend to be a “type A” person, so I can come up with good structures to do things. I can come up with good ideas to do things, and my tendency is to be like, “Oh, here’s what we should do. Let me go find a scripture that supports that. Let me go find something that’s like, ‘Oh yeah, this is what you should do’.”
Man, what a shame that is when that’s how we treat the Word. It’s the only thing that’s eternal and unchanging. Why are we dreaming up new things to do and saying, “Hey, let me go find some scripture that says, ‘Yeah, that’s good’; some scripture that supports this.”
Ideas, goals, and vision should arise from scripture, and then you build your plans on it.”
Want to be developed as a worship leader? Check out our online worship leader development program!
- Ministry Must Spring From the Word - April 14, 2017
- An Artist’s Guide to Managing Schedules - March 10, 2017
- You Are Not Alone (A Song For The Elect Exiles) - January 23, 2017
- The Lie I’ve Believed About Rest - April 18, 2016
- What Does A Shepherd Do? - April 11, 2016
- Part-Writing For A Worship Song - March 22, 2016
- Flying Solo: Ditching The Music Stand - March 16, 2016
- Your Art Will Die, And It’s OK - August 31, 2015
- Understanding the Number System - August 14, 2015
- Kyle Lent’s Guitar Gear and Pedal Board Rundown - February 23, 2015