Kyle Lent talks about delegation and how it can be used to lessen the load on your own plate while developing other members of your team through tasks. The early Church used this method in Acts 6 to accomplish tasks and multiply disciples.
Here are some of the main points:
- “You can’t do everything really well, so delegation is incredibly important.”
- “What things am I called to above anybody else on my team, and what things can I give away?”
As leaders, you can’t do anything very well, and if you think you can, then let’s reference that part about killing pride, right? You can’t do everything really well, and so delegation is incredibly important. Not only is it good for you to be able to just focus on the things that you do well, but it builds up your team. It gives them ownership to start developing and get good at things.
Look at how the early church did this in Acts 6:2-4 and verse 7. It says, “And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, ‘It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.'” And then listen to verse 7. This is really interesting. “And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.”
So it’s this idea of setting up deacons. They delegate these things to other men and women who can do them, and as a result, those men and women are grown. A great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.
And so when you think about excellency, think about what things do you do well? Like, “Here’s what I can do, and nobody else can quite do it the way that I do it.” And not from a prideful standpoint, but like, “What things am I called to above anybody else on my team, and what things can I give away? What things do I do that I just shouldn’t be dong?”
- How to Create an In-Ear Monitor Mix - August 18, 2017
- Delegation Produces Growth - June 5, 2017
- What Hinders Collaboration? - May 5, 2017
- Ministry Must Spring From the Word - April 14, 2017
- An Artist’s Guide to Managing Schedules - March 10, 2017
- You Are Not Alone (A Song For The Elect Exiles) - January 23, 2017
- The Lie I’ve Believed About Rest - April 18, 2016
- What Does A Shepherd Do? - April 11, 2016
- Part-Writing For A Worship Song - March 22, 2016
- Flying Solo: Ditching The Music Stand - March 16, 2016